Thursday, July 05, 2007

Hi! Remember Me?

I'm surprised you don’t. I’m dead now, but back in the ’60s I was pretty hot shit, commanding the American forces in Viet Nam. I'm pretty much like the duped general officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines that you see on TV today.

Yes, I respect them for their courage and devotion to duty. However they’re just as much in the dark and as much of the problem as I was back then.

Back then I made sure we got a great body-count. Made sure our boys had as many bullets as they needed. And made sure we got them to a field hospital before they died. Made sure we did everything by the book. Ya know...we never did lose a battle in that war, but we sure as shit lost the war. Why? Because we left. I'm not saying we should have left. I’m here to tell you that it just couldn’t be won. Why? Because we didn’t want to. Because it would have taken the annihilation of an entire people and their country to win. And you know what? The entire area of southeast Asia didn't tumble like a pile of dominoes as the Johnson and Nixon administrations predicted.

Our generals on the ground in Iraq these days are doing a swell job. Just listen to them on TV. They have the capacity, because of technology, to make even more basket cases out of boys who would have ordinarily died. Damn! Aren’t we just swell.

And we won’t win this one either, no matter how many boys die or are saved to become basket cases.

Oh, yeah. I'm General William Westmoreland. Even though you could give a shit.

1 comment:

Lichanos said...

...couldn’t be won. Why? Because we didn’t want to. Because it would have taken the annihilation of an entire people and their country to win...

So true, so obvious. The "we could have won but our hands were tied" point of view lacks any rational connection between ends and means. Good post.